5.19.2010

Political Situation in Thailand

I know I have been awful at keeping my blog updated. I wanted my latest blog to be about the fact that our school is up and running and licensed and that we have STUDENTS!!!

However, I think my update right now needs to be an update about what this country is currently enduring. Granted, I have limited knowledge, but will tell you what I know.

The last couple of months in Thailand have been filled with political unrest, protests and excallating conflict including fights, riots, fires and deaths. Most of this has been occurring in the heart of Bangkok - which is currently a war zone. Today, two of the main Red Shirt leaders surrendered to police and are currently in jail. A faction of the red shirts – the more militant part (the Black Shirts) – disagreed with this move and are now inciting violence around the country.

Currently, red shirts are demonstrating in several parts of Chiang Mai – especially in front of the governer’s mansion. Today, a curfew has been set on 29 of the provinces in Thailand where we are not allowed to leave our houses between 8pm and 6am. Most banks in Chiang Mai will be closed for the next 2 days and a lot of schools are closing. The main mall is also closed down.

All of this to say - please be in prayer for Thailand, my home right now. I am not in any immediate danger and I am thankful to have such great contact here in which I trust in order to stay apprised of the happenings. No one is sure if/how long this will continue or if it will continue to escalate. This situation is a delicate one with no clear answer.

Someone in a ministry in Bangkok who is right on the edge of the war zone wrote this today and said it better than I ever could.

"Please pray for minimal casualties. Pray for the children and elderly in the camps (gov and NGO's pleaded for them to be moved but many stayed) to be sent out before the soldiers get there. Pray for the rioters to be stopped from spreading fire in the city. Pray for the many children who have witnessed shootings and warfare. Pray for restraint among the young and many inexperienced soldiers that they will use their weapons only as absolutely necessary and not too quickly in fear. Pray for Taksin who funds much of this to be convicted and call off his part in keeping it going. Pray for the Prime Minister who must be under unbelievable stress and pressure both national and international to address this conflict. Pray for the families of those whose lives have been lost already. Pray that out of this people will not grow bitter but will begin to understand the importance of the law, of democracy, of human rights, and most of all that there is hope for their future in God. Pray that the church will rise to the occasion and be prepared to bring healing and hope to a very wounded nation and people."

Thank you in advance for your prayers!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks for keeping us updated; will pray for those requests you gave us. We love you; stay safe!
Love Mom

CAITLIN said...

Praying for you Britt, and knowing that God has you under His care regardless of where you are in the world. Love you, make the most of your curfew...I'm thinking lots of movies and mani/pedi time. ;) Love ya! -CC