5.29.2010

วันวิสาขบูชา

We had Friday off for a Buddhist holiday called Visakabucha Day which celebrates the birth, the enlightenment and death of Buddah . Thursday night, our Thai friend asked us if we wanted to go see a yearly tradition of thousands and thousands of people walking the streets straight up a windy mountain to a large temple called Doi Suthep. Though we are not Buddhist, we thought it would be interesting to observe - to see first hand a cultural as well as Buddhist tradition. So, we joined thousands of people. We stuck out like sore thumbs because we were some of the only foreigners. I am so thankful to have a very culturally wise Thai friend who always looks out for us and is like our body guard :0). (note - she is the itty bitty one between Emily and me but if it came down to it, I would put money on her over anyone in a fight ;).



We decided not to walk the 10K road all the way to the temple, but go up a ways and just sit on the guard rail to observe. Watch person after person walk up in the dark. Watch groups and groups of college students wearing matching shirts chant their way up the hill. Watch monks walk by in their traditional orange robes. Watch trucks carrying ornamented Buddha Idols like floats. Just watch and listen. Hearing the cheers of the students. Hear the chants of the monks over the loud speakers.
During this time, I became thankful for this opportunity. I was so out of my element and when I was feeling uncomfortable, I realized, that's where God wanted me to be. He wants me to not be comfortable. When I'm too comfortable, I have a narrow focus and am not able to really open my eyes to the things around me. He wants me to see new things. He wants me to watch and listen and allow myself to be reminded of why He called me here. It was a good time to be reminded of the fact that I want God to break my heart for what breaks His. Though I don't always feel comfortable in this culture, I feel greatful to be here. I am thankful to be learning something new everyday and for this specific opportunity to grow and to serve.


1 comment:

Erin Stroup said...

I remember Doi Suthep! It was how we got cab drivers to get me home. I lived very close to that temple. I would always say "take me to Doi Suthep" and everyone knew what I was talking about. Oh, I miss traveling :( I love you and miss you girl. Keep the stories coming!!!