I feel like I have so much to write about but then it's also jumbled in my mind and I feel as if it would take me hours to sort through my brain (contrary to popular belief - I do have a brain) to make even the slightest bit of sense. So, I will spare you confusion and instead, write about one of my favorite stories so far teaching here in Thailand.
We have a student with C.P. He walks with a walker and has a missing-teeth smile that can melt your heart. He uses the teachers' bathroom because it's the most accessible to him. One of our English speaking teachers (Daniel) was helping him get to the bathroom. The boy goes into the bathroom and thinks it's necessary to use the 2 bathroom locks even though Daniel is right outside waiting for him to finish. All of a sudden (and I am hearing this in muffled tones as I am lesson planning not far from where the scene is unfolding) the boy yells "Mr. Daniel, Mr. Daniel . . . there is a snake coming at me! Mr. Daniel, HELP!" Daniel is quickly imagining this huge snake coming out of the toilet in pursuit of our sweet student who can't get away quickly enough before his poor little butt becomes a meal for this slithering creature. Of course the bathroom door is locked so Daniel kicks the door open like a hero. He's ready to take action and quickly stops in his tracks and starts chuckling. All I hear is "ummmm . . . that's just a worm buddy." There is a worm on the other side of the bathroom floor about an inch or two long slowly making it's way in the boy's direction. I told the boy's foster father the story that afternoon and he just shook his head, chuckled and said "I am always telling him not to lock the door."
Every time I go to the bathroom and see the broken lock, it makes me think of the "snake" and of that boy and of why I'm here and I just smile.
I love my life! =) Thanks again to all of you who make my life here possible! I couldn't do it without your love and support!
7.17.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Haha such a cute story. Glad I can be apart of this journey! I consider it a privilege and honor to encourage, pray and support you.
I sit here reading this laughing and yet finding myself crying. I can just picture this! What great times and funny stories you'll have to share with us over the next 2 years. I can't wait to meet these precious children. Pictures, we need pictures! MOM
I agree about the pictures :)
Post a Comment