1.31.2010

I am THAT Teacher

I am that teacher. You know, the teacher that does something unknowingly to earn stares and snickers in the classroom. We've all had them - the teacher that says a word incorrectly over and over (I remember making tally marks on my page everyday in my college Leadership in Business class every time the teacher made a weird clicking noise with his mouth in between thoughts - there were a group of us who paid more attention to the number of clicks made than what it meant to be a leader), has lipstick on their teeth or always has coffee breath.

I'm afraid, I've fallen into that category. Awwww. You san say "awwww" right now . . . because it's sad.

So, we don't have our own students right now as we're still setting up our school but we are volunteering 2 1/2 days a week in government schools. I currently teach 2 4th grade classes and 3 5th grade classes for a grand total of 200 students. I absolutely love going on Tuesdays and Thursdays and teaching.


A couple weeks ago, I was teaching my 5th graders. I am dressed in one of my favorite teacher outfits and I feel very professional if I do say myself. As a side note: I didn't have acne as a teenager but for some reason, the pimple fairy decided that my mid twenties is when I need to have the incredibly embarrassing pepperoni face. That morning, I put a little cover up on each facial discrepancy - especially the most unattractive large one above my upper lip.

Okay, so I am teaching (a rather riveting lesson on days of the week and months of the year). I teach the kids fun songs and we just finished playing a review game that had them all competing and laughing excitedly. I look back at the last row of the classroom and there are two of my students looking at me with a side glance while whispering to one another, giggling and then looking back at me. They do this a couple times. It has me wondering what's so funny. I mean seriously girls, aren't you just amazed by my lesson? Doesn't it have you so excited about learning that you want me to ask for extra homework?

Okay, never mind, I understand I'm not THAT exciting, but what specifically are these girls laughing about? Well, the mystery is still a mystery and I finish class and take a quick potty break. I come out of the bathroom and look up in the mirror.

Oh. Mystery solved. Yeah, that's pretty much why the girls were laughing. Right on top of my cover up over my lip is a big blue spot from the dry erase board marker eraser flakes. Let me tell you that trying to hide a pimple is best done when it's not highlighted by bright blue marker. There were a couple streaks on my chin as well. Ugh, I have become THAT teacher!

Well, I know this isn't really too embarrassing . . . but as a new teacher, I'm just now getting exposed to the occupational hazards that come along with it.

Later that week, I became another kind of teacher. I stayed clear of touching my marker covered hand to my face. I teach another riveting lesson to my 4th graders this time on the subject of food and drink. After class, the students bring up their notebooks for me to grade. One sweet and eager little student comes up to me and hands me a sheet of paper. I took a picture of it below.


I am teacher Miss Bittaney. :0). And by the looks of this picture - I'm cute! I have fun style with pink and red and with a splash of teal! I love that I am this teacher. I love that I am the only Western person who sets foot on the grounds of the school and the kids follow me around waving and screaming "hello," "good morning," "i love you." Granted, this is a fun little boost to the ego . . . but truly, it's much more than that. It's the joy that I receive from being a part of these kids lives - as little as that part may be. I have the opportunity to live out the characteristics of Christ - not perfectly, but I still have the opportunity nonetheless. I am thankful that I can be THAT teacher . . . even if it includes big bright blue marker spots on my face from time to time. :0)

3 comments:

Erin Stroup said...

Looking good in that picture for sure! So dressed up with your cute little dress and fabulous shoes :) Love you girl!

Mom said...

Did you cut your own bangs again?
I remember when you were that kid who cut her own hair right before you were to be in a wedding. You then took your "Safety Sissors" and hid them along with your chunk of hair in the pencil box and then put it in the toy box so it wouldn't be found!
Loved your story, it just reminded me of you cutting your hair when I saw the picture. (That's quite a cute outfit!)
Love you,

Jennifer said...

You are stylin! :)