1.06.2010

Small Post, Big Laugh

We are working on the website for the school. My housemate, friend and co-worker Amy was writing the small biographies for each Thai teacher. They were telling Amy about their backgrounds, their interests, etc.

One teacher says "I like swimming" . . . and then her friend blurts out "yes, but she not have the boyfriend." She said it as though it was connected to her friend having an interest in swimming, like you can't swim well unless you have "the boyfriend." I understand she was just trying to advertise that her friend is single but the whole conversation made me laugh and then repeat it a million times much to my roommates' demise. Since they met me pretty much, they lovingly call me "Repeat."

Another funny saying was in conjunction with the biography conversation. One of the Thai staff was trying to tell us what she majored in . . . she says "I got a Bachelor in Many Men." Um, what? Many Men? Can you get a degree like that? If so, what does that entail? After she said it a couple times . . . we figured out that you can not in fact (as far as I know) get an actual degree in "Many Men" but you CAN get a degree in "Management." Good to know, good to know.

Please note that these stories are in no way to poke fun at the amazing Thai gals - I adore them and enjoy working together and laughing together. I know that I have said plenty of incorrect things in Thai. Remember that I am the girl that asked for an eraser instead of a straw and I asked my student if she had a duck instead of asking her if her food was spicy. I am sure that there are many other things that I have said wrong and didn't even catch. I am the one that my Thai language tutor teases about only knowing how to say "there is a boy under the table" when I arrived in Thailand. I hope that my Thai friends enjoy laughing at me.

I stick to the fact that laughter is the best medicine (and is often a key ingredient to my sanity). =)

Laugh today, okay? A lot. Like a hard belly laugh. It's the best.

3 comments:

Mom said...

LOL
If I could add something to your bio it would be that you have a degree in Many Men, you didn't like swimming as a child, we had to throw you off the diving board and promise you a kitten to get you to go into the deep end; remember? Um....You tell your mom you love her "100 and a steak", you are almost legally blind, you are a CCC, (Crazy Cat Lady), you love LMN and ELF, :-)...you have a couple nick names which I won't go into but I gave you one and Jessica gave you one.....I'll add more to your bio later. LOVE YOU
MOM

MOM said...

When you were about 4-5 years old you so trustingly let Heather push you out into the middle of the lake while you were sitting in the middle of a tube meant for a swimming pool!
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

CAITLIN said...

I just got caught up on your blog and it is SO fun to read of your life there. I cannot wait to talk with you soon and hear more about it. It was almost like we were talking yesterday when I was emailing your mom while she was on the phone with you. Almost....
Love you and the way you make me belly laugh. ; )