5.14.2011

Buttons For May

sorry for the funny spacing between paragraphs. blogger is not cooperating with me! hehe



I apologize for the long break in blogging. I went back to the US for 6 weeks. But I'm back in Thailand, back to work and back to my project with May (sorry, was misspelling it before as Mae but she, herself spells it May).

Before I went home, I was trying to think of what I could do to bless May. What could I bring back from the US that could help her start her card making business but also be something that when she runs out of it (whatever resource I brought back), she could replenish her supply easily here in Thailand. That's when I thought . . . BUTTONS. Buttons are everywhere. They aren't something most people have to buy. Generally, any home with a female living in it contains at least a small stash of buttons that have come as extras on shirts and will never be used. So, I started "Buttons for May." I intended to publish a blog BEFORE going to the States. However, through my interaction and time back home, I collected over 100 pounds in buttons and other supplies to bring back to May! I brought one suitcase this trip and will have others bring the rest to me when they come to visit (so if you want to find an excuse to come visit - bringing supplies for May can be your excuse!).






Yesterday, I met with May for the first time since I came back. Unfortunately, our translator and friend has Dengue fever and was unable to meet with us so I held off bringing her everything I collected for her. Reason being, I really wanted to make sure I could communicate clearly why this was all donated and where it came from. So, it'll have to wait until next week. However, I have included my thoughts from my time with her yesterday. Before I move on, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who spread the word, who donated and who gave thoughts, prayers and encouragement to this project for May. I can't wait to capture the look on her face when she sees all the things collected for her.

*********************

I drive down the road that leads to her neighborhood. I pass the section that always tricks me because it's kind of a free-for-all as it's intersecting streets but no stop signs. I always feel like I missed the memo on who goes when because it seems as if the rest of the world knows how to proceed where I am always at a loss for who has the right away.



the ally that leads to May's house


I see May on her bike riding with her cousin on the back. I meet up with them and we walk down the ally towards her house. Her little cousin (he's probably 7 or 8 years old) points at a large pile of fresh dog poo and makes sure I steer clear of that and that made me smile. I walk into the area where there are about 4 or 5 separate houses, some made of dilapidated wood and some in small concrete buildings. May pulls out the completely rusted fold away table and her aunt pulls out the table cloth. We make small talk.


May's cousin who likes to pop in every now and again and watch us make cards.


I start teaching May a new card. They asked if we could start on Christmas cards because someone from the states is coming next month and they wanted to have a variety to offer. So, I start teaching her.


And I get to thinking, this time is so much more than what I realize. I wasn't too excited with the design I came up with . . . but this is more than that. I laugh as the cat with one black eye and one green eye jumps on the table and steps right on our freshly sponge painted paper and gets dirt all over the piece we just made . . . but this is more than that. We look at each other awkwardly when the Thai words I'm looking for just don't come . . . but this is more than that. I teach May and try to ignore the people who walk by and just stare and just watch and I don't understand them . . . but this is more than that.


We are making a Christmas card. Christmas. We're making something that signifies the birth of a Savior. A card that celebrates that God loved us so much that He sent His son to die for us.
And it hits me again. I'm reminded that this project is so much more than a project. This is about showing a young girl how she is so deeply loved by her Creator.


After we finished the card, I asked if I could take a picture (below) of her. Some man standing around watching started to laugh lightly. I knew May was a little uncomfortable with the attention. I walked by her and put a hand on her shoulder and called her beautiful. She made a sound that caused me to think. The sound she made was like an unsure giggle. Like her telling me she didn't believe me. That I was joking. And it made me sad. Does anyone ever call her beautiful?



So, I left with a reminder of why I'm doing this "project." A reminder that it's so much more than buttons, glue and paper. It's more than the times I feel inadequate and uninspired. It's about people. It's about May. It's about this orphan who needs to know she's beautiful. Needs to believe she's beautiful. Needs to know her creator. Needs to know that God has a plan to give her hope and a future. Hope here on Earth and eternal hope.


Please pray with me for May.

4 comments:

Emily said...

This is beautiful friend. Proud of you!

Cross Family said...

Such a wonderfully crafted blog piece which reflects a truly worthwhile "project". Thanks for sharing this,
Andie x

Sarah Berntson said...

Brittany, I'm so proud of you! I will pray for May, too, that she embraces the glimpses of God's love she sees and feels through you. I'll pray that God gives you the right words and the right time; that you are able to connect across languages and cultures and understandings.

Mom said...

Brittany,
This is a time Christ has chosen to make his mark on May through you, so embrace and enjoy every moment!
Love you,
Momma