6.11.2010

Imperfections & Friendship with a Side of Fish


I had a bad day (yes, you can cue Daniel Powter's "Bad Day").

There really was no reason for it. The day was filled with little imperfections just like every day. However, this particular day, I really let it get to me. There was no monumental happening. There wasn't anything life threatening. It was just one of those days full of "UGH" moments and I was in the mood to tally them. I let each one add up. By lunch time, I had decided I was DONE with this day. I wanted a mulligan, a do-over. For some reason, I felt like I left my filter at home and so I was scared to open my mouth. When I stayed quiet - it was the rest of me that failed (i.e. I bent over to pick up my bags to go home and I forgot that I had a full cup of water in my hand and I poured it all over my papers and my laptop bag). By the time we got to the car after school, I was determined to go home, go to my room and hibernate for the rest of the day.

On our way home, we stopped off at the market. We ran into our awesome friend, Khruu Ooy, and invited her over for dinner. Great - now my "hibernate in depression until you fall asleep" plan was blown. I had to be civilized and exert effort and I didn't want to because I was defeated.

Nevertheless, we all went back to our house and started cooking dinner. Khruu Ooy was coming separately from the market - so we started preparing dinner and then would just tack on whatever she brought. We were almost done with our pasta with chicken, mixed veggies and a little bit of cheese sauce when our friend walks in with fish. She got them at the market. You know, where you go up to a bucket of fish swimming around, you point to your prime choice, they pick it up, chop it's head off, scale it and then chop it into 4 or 5 pieces with the bones and guts all intact and throw it in a plastic bag. And then the fun begins. We cook together and just laugh. We put on Zack Brown Band's "Chicken Fried" - change the words to "Fish Fried" and belt it while dancing around and making our Thai friend wonder why country music was ever invented.

All of a sudden, the imperfections of the day, of life - didn't seem so daunting. I think I forget sometimes to just let down my guard - remember that life is SO NOT perfect, so why do I wake up some days and expect it to be? Life happens. Things aren't always going to go my way. There's a reason for that. If it always went my way, I wouldn't be humbled. I wouldn't know what it is like to have Jesus mend my broken, tattered, and defeated self.

Reminder to self: You can get mad at life, tally up everything that isn't going "right" . . . but it doesn't do any good because all you're doing is proving that life is imperfect. Sometimes the best thing to do is just go with the flow, invite your friends over, make the dead fish talk, cook it, eat it, laugh, and LOVE LIFE.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Brittany this is so good. Thanks for posting. I love you friend!

Anonymous said...

A lesson learned by all of us! Thanks for sharing. And your fish fry friend is precious!
Love you! Gail

Unknown said...

Hey Brit - This hit home with me too. I've been having a few days that it seems like there is no reason but I am just having a bad day, and I remember that I choose to change my mood.
When I was student teaching, the school had a yoga teacher that came in once a week with the kids and she always told them "you choose to enjoy your day or to hate it. Its all up to you." I always try to remember this...
Love you! I pray no more bad days come near you!